Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Good Days and Bad Days

1, December 2009 - For a bit over seven months the exercise has continued. Most days my strength seems improved and walking easier, but then there are the days I am reminded that muscular dystrophy still controls my every movement by sending me on a trip to the floor.

November was full of these little reminders; more than I have seen since returning from China. Except a few aches and pains and a couple of dents in the 'ol ego, I landed in one piece. 'I'm getting too old for this sh**' I cuss to the empty room, wondering at the same time if all my work is for naught while I'm sliding across the floor on my butt towards my lifting machine.

'Does stem cell treatment work'? I am asked this almost daily and still cannot definitively answer the question. "For me, it does," is my usual response. The combined treatment and expense provide me with the motivational fuel needed to exercise often so I can get the most out of the experience, but when falls happen I find myself questioning things.

However, as I think through it all I try to remember that stem cell treatment was never meant to be a cure. I've got decades of damaged muscles to repair - which ain't gonna happen in a mere handful of months! As long as I'm walking, falls are going to happen - stem cells or not -that's just a part of MD that I expect will never completely go away. So I'll keep up the work, keep reporting the good and the bad and, most of all, keep the faith.

3 comments:

  1. Keep going Russ. Think of yourself as a pioneer. Inspirational to see you doing this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ..im happy for you...especially the faith and hope with in you...i just hope will keep in touch...since i have one patient 14 year old diagnosed as Beckers MD....i want to asks questions and just wanted to have direct answers too...please help me...bring faith and hope to this boy...he starting riding wheelchair since 7years old and just this 3 months i get hold on him....Thank you so much for this enlightening info....mcborro@yahoo.com...by the way..im a physical therapist...working here in Jeddah KSA..Best regards ang keep going....!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no doubt that medical science has achieved a number of mile stones, especially at the time of emergency but at the same time it is also true that its medication has a number of side effects. So at that moment stem cell therapy can be considered as a perfect solution that to without any medication. Thank you.

    stem cell cure

    ReplyDelete