Monday, April 13, 2009

April 13: Two for the Road, Please

Today was my 6th IV injection of stem cells. All went smooth as usual, and I now feel like an old hand (no IV pun intended!) at this.

Since I'm now done with my original treatment and we still have eight days before we leave China, I have decided to go through another round of intramuscular site injections using two additional bags of stem cells. I feel there was a near immediate benefit from this treatment - I was able to crank the exercise bike up from zero resistance to #3 within three days after the first set of injections, so I feel confident something is working.

The main side effect I've noticed is "twitchy" legs, especially my left side, but recently my right side (weaker side) has begun vibrating too. It's like a dam has been opened and water is beginning to pour through the right side of my body. It keeps me up late at night, but it's actually a good thing - like muscles are wakening up.

Maybe I'm just masochistic! I have now calculated I have been poked 400 times since I've been here just in acupuncture (16 needles/day x four days/week); another 8 times for all IVs and initial blood tests; 1 for the bone marrow; and 60 for the first intramuscular injections (=469 times). Only another 125 pokes to go to complete this treatment!

4 comments:

  1. I will never make another comment about your low pain threshold for medical procedures again--either you have toughened up beyond recognition or the Chinese have some very magical needles! Read Jason's blog, that UPS excursion was like a nightmare--It sounds like you both are just about ready to come home to your houses, friends, kitties, BBQ's, and best of all, your very own beds to sleep in firework free. Hang in there Russell, you're almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on nearing the end of your treatment, and very happy to hear that you're pleased with your results so far. I miss and love you both, can't wait to see you guys again!
    Love
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting patiently for your return. You are a very brave person and rate right up there with Sheryl as one of my heroes. Love and miss you much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can't wait to have you back...Godspeed in the rest of your treatments. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete