Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Human Pincushion Returns!

My 60 site injections took place at 3:30 this afternoon, and I was back in my room by 4:30. I was rolled down to the operating room, turned on my right side then stripped of my operating gown. They shaved my thighs, back and upper arms yesterday so I was prepared for today. After they ensured I was comfortable, anesthesia was injected into my IV and I quickly fell asleep. Next thing I recall was waking up back in my room, saying "tong" the Chinese word for pain.

My arms were fine, but it felt like a thousand bees had stung me across my shoulder blades and both thighs, and the fire of those stings could not be subdued. They nurse immediately injected Valium into my IV, and I quickly drifted off to sleep for three hours. When I awoke, the pain was completely gone! So although it sounded painful, in the end all is well. In fact, I'd do it again!

No immediate "Incredible Hulk" muscle reactions or side affects seemed to have occurred from this procedure. Physical therapy and acupuncture are cancelled for tomorrow, but I'm back to No Mercy James on Friday, along with beginning occupational therapy for my upper arms and shoulders. I continue to bicycle 20 minutes a day whenever possible, although it is not a required part of my therapy.

I cannot emphasize enough how caring and professional the Beike staff is here. They are extremely punctual for everything, and constantly concerned for your comfort and ensuring your questions are answered. Most everyone speaks some amount of English, so communication is never a problem. I am definitley in good hands!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you came through it so well, I'm proud of you! It does seem like after this experience, my ability to torture you with voodoo dolls will be severely reduced--I'll be cackling and madly poking pins in, and you'll be calmly sitting in your office, barely noticing. Drat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the above post, Russ, I think you should re-consider those spider crunchies! Glad things worked out okay, and the pain went away--you are being very brave in the face of all these punctures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Russell:

    I am thinking of you and pulling for you.

    As always,

    KC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Russ, I'm a Mexican boy making up his mind about going to China to get some of that stem cell into my body. I have MD LGMD 2B, and right now the doctor are debating whether Im a candidate for this procedure. What is the night life life? can you get to hit a bar every once in a while or are you always at the premises? Does the in site injections hurt at all? I have a condition a high CPK level on my blood so I cannot have general Anesthesia, i think that the desire of getting better will make bear all that pain and suffering, what do you think about that? See ya, and I hope you get better

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roberto,

    The night-life is probably good, but I never checked it out. You cannot drink alcohol or smoke before or after stem cell treatment. You can leave the hospital, but not on the day of your stem cell treatments. If you cannot undergo anestheia for the site injections, they would likely give all of your stem cells via IV, but that's up to the doctors. The most painful part is the electronic acupuncture treatment, and there’s is lots of that.

    ReplyDelete